Notification of Publication of Preliminary Documentation
Darwin Pipeline Duplication Project (EPBC 2022/09372)
The following notice is published pursuant to section 95A(3) of the Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999 (EPBC Act).
Santos NA Barossa Pty Ltd is proposing to construct, operate and decommission a subsea gas export pipeline between the offshore Barossa field and the existing Darwin Liquefied Natural Gas (DLNG) facility. The Darwin Pipeline Duplication Project (Project) involves the construction of an approximately 123km section of this pipeline, including 23km of pipeline in Commonwealth waters and 100km of pipeline in Northern Territory (NT) waters.
The Project will be undertaken in three distinct areas:
- Offshore waters including NT waters outside Darwin Harbour and Commonwealth waters;
- Darwin Harbour; and
- Onshore where the Project pipeline crosses the shoreline within the existing DLNG facility disturbance footprint.
The Project construction phase includes seabed preparation, trenching and offshore spoil disposal, installation of the pipeline and associated infrastructure, including an onshore section at the DLNG facility. A range of vessels will support Project activities, including surveys, anchor handling, environmental monitoring and crew changes. Pre-commissioning activities will include flooding, cleaning, gauging and testing (FCGT) of the pipeline and pipeline dewatering in Commonwealth waters. Project operational activities will include vessel-based inspection, maintenance and repair (IMR) activities along the operational pipeline. Decommissioning activities will be conducted as per regulatory requirements.
A delegate of the Commonwealth Minister for the Environment and Water has determined that the Project is a Controlled Action under section 75 of the EPBC Act with assessment by Preliminary Documentation required under section 87. The matters protected by Part 3 of the EPBC Act that have been determined to be controlling provisions for the Project are:
- Listed threatened species and communities (sections 18 & 18A).
- Listed migratory species (sections 20 & 20A).
- Commonwealth marine areas (sections 23 & 24A).
Santos has prepared a Preliminary Documentation Report and now is required under section 95A(3) of the EPBC Act to publish that report. The Preliminary Documentation Report can be accessed below.
Hard copies are also available for viewing during business hours at the following locations:
- NT EPA, Level 1, Arnhemica House, 16 Parap Road, Parap
- Darwin City Library, Civic Centre, Harry Chan Avenue, Darwin
- Casuarina Library, 17 Bradshaw Terrace, Casuarina
- Department of Environment, Parks and Water Security, Northern Territory Government, Level 4, Goyder Centre, Chung Wah Terrace, Palmerston
- Tiwi Islands Regional Council – Wurrumiyanga, Bathurst Island
- Tiwi Islands Regional Council – Pirlangimpi, Melville Island
- Tiwi Islands Regional Council – Milikapiti, Melville Island
- Minjilang Office, West Arnhem Regional Council, Croker Island
Public comments are invited on the Project Preliminary Documentation Report and can be made until Friday 15 December 2023.
Persons with special needs (i.e., for whom English is a second language or who have a vision impairment) may contact Santos by phone (1800 267 600) or email (email@example.com) for assistance in accessing the material.
All submissions should reference EPBC 2022/09372 and can be lodged in writing via the following methods:
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mail: GPO Box 2455, Adelaide SA 5001