The Santos-operated Barossa Gas Project is an offshore gas and condensate project that proposes to provide a new source of gas to the existing Darwin liquified natural gas (DLNG) facility in the Northern Territory.
Natural gas would be extracted from the Barossa field, located in Commonwealth waters approximately 285 kilometres offshore north-north west from Darwin, and transported via gas pipeline (Gas Export Pipeline (GEP) and Darwin Pipeline Duplication (DPD)) to the existing DLNG facility, with first gas targeted for 2025.
Project infrastructure would comprise a Floating Production Storage and Offloading (FPSO) facility, a subsea production system, supporting in-field subsea infrastructure, the GEP and the DPD.
Up to eight subsea wells are planned to be drilled in the Barossa field (six wells from three drill centres, with contingency plans for an additional two wells. Gas and condensate would be gathered from the wells through the subsea production system and then brought to the FPSO facility via a network of subsea infrastructure.
Initial processing would occur at the FPSO facility, to separate the natural gas, water and condensate extracted from the Barossa field. The dry natural gas would be transported through the gas pipeline for onshore processing at the DLNG facility. Condensate would be transferred from the FPSO to specialised tankers for export.
The Commonwealth Government’s independent expert regulator for offshore oil and gas development, the National Offshore Petroleum Safety and Environmental Management Authority (NOPSEMA), accepted the Barossa Offshore Project Proposal (OPP) in March 2018.
Acceptance of the OPP is the government’s project-level environmental approval for offshore projects, with construction and operations subject to further acceptance of activity-level environment plans (EPs).
To be accepted by NOPSEMA, an EP must meet the requirements set out in the Offshore Petroleum and Greenhouse Gas Storage (Environment) Regulations 2009 (OPGGS Environment Regulations).
The OPGGS Environment Regulations set out that an EP must (among other things):
- comprehensively describe the activity to be carried out under the EP
- describe the environment that may be affected by the activity, including the values and sensitivities of that environment
- detail and evaluate the environmental impacts and risks for the relevant activity
- demonstrate that the impacts and risks of the activity will be reduced to as low as reasonably practicable and an acceptable level (and detail the control measures to be used to achieve this)
- demonstrate that Santos has consulted, in accordance with regulatory requirements, with each relevant person, including those whose functions, interests or activities may be affected by the activities to be carried out under the EP
- demonstrate that the measures (if any) that Santos has adopted, or proposes to adopt, because of the consultations are appropriate
Santos is planning several offshore petroleum activities to develop the Barossa Gas Project, which will be addressed under different EPs. Santos is required to consult with relevant persons about those activities when preparing each EP.
‘Relevant persons’ includes relevant Commonwealth, State and Northern Territory departments or agencies, and persons and organisations whose functions, interests or activities may be affected by activities to be carried out under the relevant EPs. Click here for more information about ‘relevant persons’.
This website is intended to help people learn more about Santos’ planned Barossa Gas Project. Information is available about the activities proposed to be undertaken under EPs that Santos is/will be consulting on, so that people may consider whether they may be affected. The website enables persons to register for consultation and provide feedback, if they wish. Information about how to do this is available here.
Information will be available on the website, for each EP under consultation, regarding:
- the proposed activities (including when, where and how they are proposed to be carried out)
- the environment that may potentially be affected by the proposed activities
- identified potential impacts and risks of the proposed activities
- proposed control measures to seek to reduce impacts and risks to as low as reasonably practicable and an acceptable level
Santos consults to further ascertain, understand and assess values and sensitivities of the environment that may be affected by a proposed activity, and potential environmental impacts and risks of a proposed activity. There may be information Santos is not yet aware of but needs to properly understand and assess potential activity impacts and risks. Consultation may inform this. It may also inform what control measures are to be proposed to reduce environmental impacts and risks to as low as reasonably practicable and to an acceptable level.
Upcoming consultation sessions
Thursday, 8 June 2023 (9:00am-5:00pm)
Darwin Convention Centre (10 Stokes Hill Rd, Darwin City)
Tuesday 13 June 2023 (Milikapiti)
10:30am – Marrikawuyanga and Yimpinari Clans
1:00pm – Wulirankuwu Clan
Wednesday 14 June 2023 (Wurrumiyanga)
10:30am – Mantiyupwi Clan
1:00pm – Jikilaruwu Clan
Thursday 15 June 2023 (Wurrumiyanga)
10:30am – Wurankuwu Clan
1:00pm – Malawu Clan
Friday 16 June 2023 (Pirlangimpi)
10:30am – Munupi Clan
View the consultation notice here.
Santos is committed to undertaking genuine and meaningful consultation. Santos wants to understand the appropriate consultation processes for different relevant persons and to provide information in an appropriate and accessible manner so that relevant persons may make informed assessments of the possible consequences of the proposed activities as may be applicable to them. Your feedback about these matters is important. Information about how to register for consultation and provide feedback, ask questions or request further information about our consultation processes is available here.
Drilling and Completions activities
- Drilling and Completions EP (Revision 3) (currently being revised by Santos)
- Barossa Offshore Project Proposal
- Barossa Offshore Project proposal appendices
- Offshore Petroleum and Greenhouse Gas Storage (Environment) Regulations 2009
- NOPSEMA Environment plan content requirements
- NOPSEMA Environment plan consultation requirements
- Santos public notices – Barossa Gas Project
- Santos Barossa Drilling and Completions Information Booklet
- Santos Barossa Subsea Infrastructure Installation and Pre-commissioning Activity Information Booklet
- Barossa Gas Project FAQs