To minimise the environmental impacts of our operations and activities and work with our communities and partners to deliver positive environmental outcomes.
We pursue our objective with reference to the UN Sustainable Development Goals, in particular: Goal 12: Responsible consumption and production, Goal 14: Life below water and Goal 15: Life on land. We seek to minimise our impact on the environment. We have focus areas of water, biodiversity, waste and air.
- Rehabilitate 100 per cent of our disturbance footprint within 12 months of construction
- Have Net Zero abstraction of water from Great Artesian Basin aquifers
- Complete 100 per cent background methane gas and baseline assessments across all onshore operations.
- Have zero waste to landfill by 2050.
2021 Environmental performance summary:
- Added an additional 28,000 ha of land for offsets to reach a total of >43,000 ha
- Great Artesian Basin Industry Partner: (First private sector partner) contributed $750,000 in 2021, resulting in savings of 399 ML/year by March 2022
- 69% reduction in waste generated in Australian operations from 2016 to 2021
- Air: 2 background methane surveys completed
- Compliance: No prosecutions for environmental contraventions fines of $20,065 in Australia
Read more about our approach to mitigating environmental risk and maximising beneficial outcomes throughout the lifecycle of all our activities in the 2022 Sustainability Report.
Access our Water Portal to view results from our surface water and groundwater monitoring programs, and access information about our responsible water management strategies.
Case study: Cooper Basin waste minimisation project – acting locally and achieving big results.
Read more in our 2022 Sustainability Report.