Santos Group, as operator of the Tumuli-1 exploration well, advises that approval has been received from the PNG Department of Petroleum and Energy for the well to be plugged and abandoned.
Approval was granted on the basis of the significant structural complexities encountered and excessive drilling difficulties to reach a much deeper, high risk and probably small and uneconomic target.
The well reached a depth of 2026.5m but encountered drilling difficulties within the Ieru formation.
Tumuli-1 is located in PPL 213 in the Papuan basin of Papua New Guinea , 10 km south of Oksapmin and approximately 35km north-west of Muller-1.
The participants in the well are as follows:
- Santos Group 35.00%
- Woodside Petroleum (PNG) Pty Ltd 25.00%
- First Aust Resources (PNG) Ltd 8.25%
- Bligh (PNG) Ltd 7.50%
- Highland Petroleum Ltd 5.63%
- Lakes Oil (PNG) Ltd 5.00%
- Trans-Orient Petroleum (PNG) Ltd 5.00%
- Victoria Exploration (PNG) Ltd 4.08%
- Farpuri (PNG) Ltd 2.50%
- TPEX Exploration (PNG) Ltd 2.04%