In partnership with Queensland Rugby Union and New South Wales Rugby Union, Santos is pleased to present the Santos Festival of Rugby, 11-12 February 2022.
The centrepiece of the festival will once again be a pre-season game between the Queensland Reds and New South Wales Waratahs Super Rugby teams. Playing for the Santos Cup and $25,000 in prizemoney, this is the final chance for the teams to get a hit-out before the newly formed Super Rugby Pacific tournament kicks off.
The annual celebration of rugby will also incorporate the Roma Rugby 7s tournament. Comprising forty teams and a prize pool of $20,000, this is one of the most highly anticipated and best 7s competitions in the country.
Besides the action on the field, the program of events includes junior coaching clinics and family fun activities. There will also be live concerts on the Friday and Saturday nights with performances by iconic 90’s Australian rock band Chocolate Starfish and also energetic cover band Furnace and the Fundamentals.
Thank you to the Queensland Government and the Maranoa Council for their support, and the Roma Echidnas Rugby Club for hosting this event.
WHEN: Friday 11 February to Saturday 12 February 2022
WHERE: Roma Rugby Union Club, Gallas Fox Park (Warrego Hwy, Roma QLD 4455)
- Friday 11 February: Roma Rugby Sevens, post-match entertainment by Chocolate Starfish.
- Saturday 12 February: Roma Rugby Sevens, pre-season match QLD Reds v NSW Waratahs, post-match entertainment by Furnace and the Fundamentals.
- To view the full program of events, click here.
- Tickets are now on sale via Ticketek. $5 entry for all on Friday. $5 for juniors and $15 for adults on Saturday. Family packages available.
- Tickets must be purchased online. No cash sales at the gate. Pre-purchase is recommended for quick scanning at the gate.
- Proceeds from ticket sales will help support community grass-roots rugby.
- Click here for sitemap and amenities.
- For questions relating to the Roma Rugby Seven’s program, please email email@example.com
- On entry all patrons 16 years or older must present proof of double COVID vaccination. For further information on this requirement, click here.
- All VIP ticket holders must be 18+ years old.
- Due to limited parking, on Saturday a free bus service will be offered between town and the field for ticketed patrons. The service will commence from 3pm, with the last service departing at 11pm from Gallas Fox Park. Full details under the food and entertainment tab.
The health and safety of the community is very important to the clubs, players and supporters of this event. To stay safe, please follow these simple rules:
- ON ENTRY all patrons 16 years or older must present proof of double COVID vaccination. For further information on this requirement, click here.
- STAY HOME if you have a body temperature of more than 37.5 degrees Celsius or are suffering from any cold/flu like symptoms such as a cough, shortness of breath, sore throat, or a runny nose.
- DO NOT ATTEND if you have been advised to quarantine, have been in close contact with a confirmed case of COVID-19, or returned from overseas travel less than 14 days ago.
- Practice good hygiene by washing your hands, using sanitiser regularly and always covering your mouth and nose if needing to cough or sneeze.
This COVID-safe event has been planned with support from the Maranoa Council and in consultation with local police and the QLD Department of Health. To ensure the safety of patrons, we have implemented the following:
- A professional ticketing system (via Ticketek) to manage capacity and contact tracing.
- Hand sanitising stations.
- Food handling strategies to adhere to QLD Department of Health guidelines.
For contact tracing, all patrons must show photo ID on entering the venue and have their tickets scanned, both on entry and exit to manage crowd numbers. Additionally, all patrons entering the venue must abide by the following terms and conditions:
- Patrons must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and be able to present proof on entry. Information on how to obtain a COVID-19 digital certificate can be found here.
- Patrons may bring in homemade food and sealed plastic water bottles. Food and beverage products purchased at commercial outlets or in commercial packaging are NOT permitted. This does not apply to food or beverages for patrons with special dietary requirements provided that such food or beverages are not packaged in prohibited containers such as glass or cans.
- Patrons may not bring in ice. Only gel packs and ice bricks are permitted.
- Deliveries from external caterers will not be permitted into the venue.
- NO glass containers of any description are to be brought in.
- NO alcohol is to be brought in or removed from the venue. It is an offence for minors to purchase or consume alcohol or for persons to supply alcohol to minors. Alcohol may only be consumed in clearly marked areas of the venue.
- Eskies will be permitted inside Roma Rugby Union Club but will be subject to a search.
- All items brought into the venue (eskies, prams, pushers, bags and other belongings) must be able to fit under the patron’s seat. Alternatively items may be held at the patrons risk at the venue’s information kiosk.
- Smoking is only permitted in the signed designated smoking areas. Patrons who fail to obey a direction from Queensland Rugby Union (QRU) or another authorised person to cease smoking in a non-designated area may be subject to a fine or may be immediately evicted from the venue.
- Footwear MUST be worn at all times.
- The right of admission is reserved. In particular, QRU reserve the right to refuse entry to, or to remove from, the venue any persons who are drunk or disorderly or whose conduct is unlawful or offensive or who are not entitled to attend the event or match. Any person who causes a disturbance or who refuses to comply with reasonable requests from Queensland Rugby Union and their representatives may be removed from the venue.
- Patrons MUST abide by all QLD Health requirements of the day with regard to COVID-19 protocols. Social distancing must be maintained at all times and should a patron be showing symptoms they should not attend, or risk being asked to leave the venue. Patrons may be refused entry if they do not accept the terms of entry regarding COVID-19. By ‘purchasing’ a ticket to this event every patron has agreed and accepted the terms and conditions of entry and the requirements surrounding COVID-19 protocols.
- Persons under the age of 12 must always be under the direct supervision of an adult. QRU reserve the right to refuse entry to, or to remove from, the venue or to refer to the police any persons under the age of 12 who are without adult supervision.
- Unauthorised and persons without tickets are prohibited from entering the venue arena and any other area not accessible by the public.
- Patrons must not wear or display commercial, political, religious or offensive signage or logos, sell any goods or services or give away political, religious, advertising or promotional materials without the prior written approval of QRU. Patrons who are, in the opinion of QRU, offensively attired or whose attire may cause a hazard or compromise safety may also be refused entry into the venue.
- Bags and other items may be subject to inspection and patrons may be searched. Patrons who refuse inspections or searches may be denied entry to the venue.
- Items which, in the opinion of QRU, have the potential to cause injury or a nuisance or inconvenience to any other person will not be permitted into the venue. These include controlled, dangerous or illegal substances, cans, bottles, flares, fireworks, laser pointers, loud hailers and weapons of any description, and may include certain musical instruments, flags and flagpoles and any other items considered by QRU to have the potential to cause injury or a nuisance or inconvenience to any other person.
- Cameras (including digital cameras), audio and video recorders may only be brought into the venue at the discretion of QRU.
- Patrons are not permitted to transmit, broadcast, sell, license or otherwise publish, disseminate or reproduce any recordings (including photographic, video or sound recordings) of the event or match for commercial purposes without the prior written approval of QRU. Such recordings may be confiscated or erased. Any recordings or recording device which are confiscated will become the property of the venue owner.
- Patrons acknowledge that the venue owner or the event promoter may use a patron’s image or likeness as part of any recording of the event or match.
- Patrons assume all risk of any damage or loss (including property damage, personal injury, economic and consequential loss) however it arises at the venue. Patrons bring personal effects onto the premises at their own risk. QRU will not be responsible for any damage to or loss or theft of a patron’s personal property.
- The event or match may be cancelled, delayed or stopped due to dangerous situations, adverse weather or for any other cause beyond the QRU’s control. Patrons may make a claim to the event promoter only for a replacement ticket if an event or match is rescheduled or for a refund of the appropriate amount of the face price of the ticket if the event is cancelled and not rescheduled.
- QRU may add, withdraw or substitute competitors, teams or artists and/or vary advertised material, programs, prices, seating arrangements, audience capacity, the venue or program times without liability to QRU.
- Chocolate Starfish (Friday post match entertainment)
- Furnace and the Fundamentals (Saturday pre and post match entertainment)
An assortment of food outlets will be serving a variety of drinks and tasty treats throughout the festival. Please note all sales will be cashless.
- Café 54
- Ivy’s Coffee Van
- Lami Kaayo Food Truck
- Lions Club of Roma
- Raj’s Tasty Temptations
- Richo’s Oven Pizza
- Rotary Club of Roma
Some car parking is available at the grounds, but it will be very limited. On Saturday, we recommend utilising the free bus service to travel to and from the event. This service will be running from 3pm with the last service departing at 11pm from Gallas Fox Park.
Free bus service:
Intown bus loop (and return) to Gallas Fox Park will stop at the following locations:
- Villa Caravan Park on Northern Rd
- Carnarvon Motel on Quintin Street
- Cultural Centre (Anzac memorial)
- Arthur Street Carpark
- Kookas BP bus stop on Arthur Street
- Pete’s Place (opposite side of road to restaurant)
- Athena Studios
- Roma Motel
- Gallas Fox park
An express bus will also run between Gallas Fox Park and Arthur Street Carpark.
This family friendly festival will have a dedicated family zone, parent room and activities for the kids.
Due to limited parking, on Saturday a free bus service will be offered between town and the field for ticketed patrons. The service will commence from 3pm, with the last service departing at 11pm from Gallas Fox Park. Full details under the food and entertainment tab.
Those visiting Roma to attend the Santos Festival of Rugby can find information about the region on the Roma Revealed website. The site contains information about accommodation, where to eat, things to do and more.
With accommodation selling fast, as of 1 December, the properties listed below have availability:
- Festival merchandise is available for sale via Shopify. Your order can be collected with proof of purchase, from the Queensland Reds merchandise stand located at the Eastern Gate entrance on either of the event days (Fri or Sat).
- QLD Reds apparel will be available for purchase during the festival. If you’d like to order merchandise ahead of time, please visit their website.
- Roma Rugby Seven’s merchandise will be available for sale through Matai Sports at Cities Oval during the festival.