Santos recognises and respects the human rights of our employees, contractors, their families, the communities in which we work and all other people. This includes understanding the broad range of individual and cultural differences in the Company and the countries in which we operate.
We believe that community engagement and consultation is a central part of our process and we seek to genuinely understand the perspectives of the people in the communities in which we operate.
Santos human rights principles are:
- We are committed to providing fair and favourable working conditions for all employees and will not employ forced labour or child labour.
- We recognise that our employees have the right to rest and leisure, including reasonable limitation of working hours and periodic holidays with pay.
- We provide channels which support the development, learning and sharing of information while allowing for a safe and reliable means to report any misconduct.
- We recognise and respect the right of individuals to express their views and participate in organised labour activities without the concern of any Company reprisal.
- Santos will implement systems and procedures to protect the health, safety and security of employees, contractors and the communities in which we operate.
- Santos will ensure that our security procedures are consistent with international law enforcement standards and include a commitment to avoid excessive force, torture, or inhuman treatment.
- Santos will take all precautions to ensure that our security operations do not contribute to civil unrest or cause human rights abuses.
- Santos will preclude discrimination based on gender, religion, race, national or ethnic origin, cultural background, social group, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, age or political opinion.
Santos systems and procedures are based on an understanding and respect for human rights with our principles consistent with the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. We will continue to establish education and training for employees and are continually evolving our monitoring instruments to ensure all operations are in accordance with international human rights standards and are independently verifiable.