An Australian energy pioneer since 1954, Santos is one of the country’s leading gas producers, supplying Australian and Asian customers.
Santos has been providing Australia with natural gas from the remote outback for more than 40 years. The company today is the largest producer of natural gas to the Australian domestic market, supplying 18% of the nation’s gas needs.
Santos has also developed major oil and liquids businesses in Australia and operates in all mainland Australian states and the Northern Territory.
From this base, Santos is pursuing a transformational liquefied natural gas (LNG) strategy with interests in four exciting LNG projects.
This strategy is led by the cornerstone GLNG® project in Queensland – a leading project in converting coal seam gas into LNG. Also in Santos’ LNG portfolio are the PNG LNG project, which was formally approved in December 2009, Bonaparte LNG, a proposed floating LNG project in the Timor Sea, and Darwin LNG, Santos’ first LNG venture, which began production in 2006.
Santos has built a strong and reliable production business in Indonesia and is further developing its Asian business through development projects and exploration investment.
In 2009, Santos’ total production was 54.4 million barrels of oil equivalent. We have the largest Australian exploration portfolio by area of any company – 133,800 square kilometres.
Santos has about 2,200 employees working across its operations in Australia and Asia.
Vision and Strategy
Santos’ vision is to be a leading energy company for Australia and Asia by delivering the base business, tapping our resource riches, being a great place to work and doing it safely and sustainably to deliver a superior shareholder return.
Santos has a robust strategy to achieve this through:
Reliable base business:
- Eastern Australia: margin growth and resource conversion
- Indonesia: established business with incremental growth
- Western Australia: growing a material domestic gas business
- GLNG: a leading CSG-to-LNG project underpinned by quality reserves
- PNG LNG: approved in 2009 with first production in 2014
- Darwin LNG: LNG production since 2006, mature brownfield growth
- Bonaparte LNG: innovative proposed floating LNG project
Focused growth in Asia:
- Vietnam: develop Chim Sáo and exploration-led growth
- India/Bangladesh: Bay of Bengal exploration-led growth
- Kyrgyz Republic: exploration prospects in proven oil and gas provinces
We are a team that:
- Discovers – by opening our minds to new possibilities, thinking creatively and having the courage to learn from successes and failures, to take on new challenges, to capture opportunities and to resolve problems.
- Delivers – by taking personal responsibility and pride in our work to deliver timely, quality results that benefit Santos and help achieve our vision and strategy.
- Collaborates – by recognising the value and power in diversity of thought and communicating openly to understand the perspectives of others; demonstrating leadership by sharing what we know and respectfully challenging each other to achieve the best results for all.
- Cares – by taking the long-term view to build a sustainable future for our company, our people and the environments and communities in which we operate.