Santos is an Australian oil and gas exploration and production company with high quality assets and projects throughout Australia and the Asia-Pacific region.
We supply over 20% of eastern Australia’s domestic gas and produced 54.4 million barrels of oil equivalent in 2008. We have the largest Australian exploration portfolio by area of any company – 192,000 square kilometres.
Santos is developing a multi-billion-dollar project to build a liquefied natural gas (LNG) facility at Gladstone, Queensland – the world’s first project to convert coal seam gas to LNG on a large scale. We are already a producer of LNG through the Darwin LNG project, which has been exporting to Japan since 2006.
Santos has more than 1,700 Australian-based employees working across its operations, and offices in Adelaide, Brisbane, Perth, Gladstone and Roma. The company has 170 staff in Jakarta, and country offices in Port Moresby, Hanoi, New Delhi and Bishkek.
Founded in 1954, our name was an acronym for South Australia Northern Territory Oil Search. Santos made its first significant discovery of natural gas in the Cooper Basin in 1963.
The Moomba discovery in 1966 confirmed this region as a major petroleum province and enabled gas supplies to Adelaide to commence 40 years ago in 1969.
The 1980s saw Santos develop a major liquids business with the construction of a liquids recovery plant at Moomba and a fractionation and load-out facility at Port Bonython. During the 1990s Santos further expanded its interests in Australia and overseas.
Since 2000, the company has continued to build its business in South East Asia while developing an Asian-focused business through exploration investment.
In 2006, a significant milestone was reached with the first export of LNG from the Darwin LNG project.
Vision and strategy
Santos’ vision is to be a leading energy company for Australia and Asia through delivering the base business, tapping our resource riches, being a great place to work and doing it safely and sustainably to deliver a superior shareholder return.
The company has a robust strategy to achieve this through:
RELIABLE BASE BUSINESS
- Eastern Australia: safe, reliable operations and market growth.
- Western Australia: exploit asset position.
- Indonesia: steady business with incremental growth.
Significant growth in LNG
- Gladstone LNG (GLNG®): transformational growth fuelled by Queensland coal seam gas.
- Papua New Guinea LNG: project underpinned by high quality gas reserves.
- Darwin LNG: mature brownfield LNG growth.
Focused growth in Asia
- Vietnam: develop Chim Sao field and exploration-led growth.
- India/Bangladesh: Bay of Bengal exploration-led growth.
Delivering to our employees
- Technical excellence.
- A collaborative workplace of capable and committed people.
- Opportunities to grow and innovate.
We are a team that:
- Discovers – by opening our minds to new possibilities, thinking creatively and having the courage to learn from successes and failures, to take on new challenges, to capture opportunities and to resolve problems.
- Delivers – by taking personal responsibility and pride in our work to deliver timely, quality results that benefit Santos and help achieve our vision and strategy.
- Collaborates – by recognising the value and power in diversity of thought and communicating openly to understand the perspectives of others; demonstrating leadership by sharing what we know and respectfully challenging each other to achieve the best results for all.
- Cares – by taking the long-term view to build a sustainable future for our company, our people and the environments and communities in which we operate.