Santos has exploration interests or production operations in every major Australian petroleum province and in Indonesia, Papua New Guinea, Vietnam, India, Bangladesh, Kyrgyzstan and Egypt.
We are Australia’s largest domestic gas producer, supplying sales gas to all mainland Australian states and territories, ethane to Sydney, and oil and liquids to domestic and international customers.
Through our interest in the Darwin LNG project, we are a producer of liquefied natural gas (LNG) which is exported to customers in Japan.
Santos has more than 1,750 employees and produced 59.1 million barrels of oil equivalent (mmboe) in 2007.
Santos has the largest Australian exploration and production portfolio by area of any company – 192,000 square kilometres – and is pursuing new venture opportunities in Asia History
Founded in 1954, our name was an acronym for South Australia Northern Territory Oil Search. Santos made its first significant discovery of natural gas in the Cooper Basin in 1963. The Moomba discovery in 1966 confirmed this region as a major petroleum province and gas supplies to Adelaide commenced in 1969.
The 1980s saw Santos develop a major liquids business with the construction of a liquids recovery plant at Moomba and a fractionation and load-out facility at Port Bonython. During the 1990s Santos further expanded its interests in Australia and overseas.
Since 2000 the Company has continued to build its business in South East Asia while undertaking high-impact exploration and developing new projects to drive production and earnings growth.
In 2006, a significant milestone was reached with the first export of LNG from the Darwin LNG project. Vision
Santos’ vision is to become a leading energy company in South East Asia with a share price that continues to grow and a reputation for sustainability in its operations.
Our vision of future success is to be a safe, low-cost, fast-moving explorer and producer and an agile niche player with a well-developed ability to manage relationships with employees, partners and other stakeholders.
As the Company grows, it will provide a working environment that encourages innovation across the business and where employees are engaged in something which is tangibly more than just a job. Strategy
Santos has in place a robust growth strategy to achieve its vision through a portfolio of growth businesses:
- LNG projects;
- Eastern Australian gas;
- Cooper Basin oil;
- Western Australian oil and gas; and
- Asian growth.
We are a team that:
- discovers – by opening our minds to new possibilities, thinking creatively and having the courage to learn from successes and failures, to take on new challenges, to capture opportunities and to resolve problems;
- delivers – by taking personal responsibility and pride in our work to deliver timely, quality results that benefit Santos and help achieve our vision and strategy;
- collaborates – by recognising the value and power in diversity of thought and communicating openly to understand the perspectives of others; demonstrating leadership by sharing what we know and respectfully challenging each other to achieve the best results for all; and
- cares – by taking the long-term view to build a sustainable future for our Company, our people and the environments and communities in which we operate.
Santos is a major Australian-based oil and gas exploration and production company operating internationally.
left Premium WilCraft jack-up rig being transported to the Carnarvon Basin, offshore