EQ Regional Manager Sam Klaas, President Santos GLNG Mark Macfarlane, and Manager Social Performance John Phalen with the award.
The Santos GLNG project was recognised for its outstanding contribution to the wellbeing of Surat Basin communities by winning the inaugural Surat Basin Community Engagement Award at the Surat Basin Conference in Roma last week.
The award recognises the hard work by team members from across the project on a daily basis to ensure the business makes a positive contribution to the community and Santos’ social license to operate remains strong.
This will be vitally important as the GLNG project moves forward.
Santos' commitment to landholder and community engagement, combined with our local presence and our daily engagement with landholders, community, local Indigenous groups and other stakeholders, was key to winning this award.
Going above and beyond the call of duty has been seen in the way Santos employees rallied to help out during the Queensland floods, leading the industry in the desalination of coal seam gas water to benefit local landholders, and supporting social infrastructure that will leave a positive legacy in the community, such as the Roma airport terminal upgrade and a new allied health precinct.
The criteria for winning the award included outlining the company’s future vision and commitment to delivering social benefits for the region and the measures already undertaken to address social issues in the community.
Congratulations to Manager Social Performance John Phalen and the Community Engagement team, as well as EQ Regional Manager Sam Klaas, Team Leader Community and Support Services Jamie Miller, and the rest of the Roma team.
The Santos GLNG project has committed the following to the Maranoa region to date:
- $500,000 donated to the Rural Fire Service to purchase 65 slip-on units with speed loader stands and 65 First Aid Kits in preparation for the upcoming fire season.
- $7 million over three years towards Surat Basin Gas Industry Aero Medical Evacuation and Retrieval Service.
- $2.5 million to the Maranoa Regional Council for the upgrade of the Roma Airport terminal.
- $1 million to building a new allied health facility at the Roma Hospital.
- $5.8 million towards social and affordable housing for the Roma community:
- $5 million towards development of new community and affordable housing.
- $100,000 to extend funding of additional community housing officers for a further 12 month period.
- $200,000 to assist in identifying and preparing new areas for housing growth.
- $500,000 donated earlier this year to the Maranoa Regional Council for their supported accommodation programs which are already helping locals experiencing difficulties accessing rental housing.
- In addition to these investments, the Santos GLNG project sponsors a number of events in the local area, including the recent Santos Food and Fire Festival.
Awards, Community relations, Employee achievements, Queensland